Monday 16 September 2013

My First Few Days in a Far off Land

ЗДРАВСТВУЙТЕ !

HELLO!

I know you have all been waiting with bated breath to hear my news, thus, your wish is my command !

Firstly, I thankfully managed to pass passport control/ visa control/ security and scary Russian officers safely and successfully. It seems my sweaty brow and pitiful attempts at speaking Russian did not result in a frisking or any potential problems that I could have encountered upon entering the country.

So, I am currently living in a traditional Soviet-style apartment  in the center of Saint Petersburg, on a canal.
My Babushka is delightful; aged about 65 but honestly more lucid than I am and also rather a lot fitter. On my first morning she briskly strode along the streets of the city with my arm tightly strapped to hers and reeling off facts (I think) at the speed of light in extremely incomprehensible old school Russian. Lucky for me, she speaks 0 English, and is absolutely fooled by my 'I know exactly what you are talking about' face. However, I am considering giving up 'the face', because she seems to expect an answer from me when she asks a question- but, as you can imagine I end up standing there totally stumped and pale faced looking blindly confused.
ALAS! Do not fear, my Babyshka's lack of empathy and wonderful stream of consciousness in Russian may in fact be the best thing for my language improvement!

There is another culture conflict here that i have already encountered. As expected- THE FOOD IS VERY RUSSIAN. For example, my Babushka kindly prepared supper for me two nights in a row - little did i know I was nibbling away at a rather tender and juicy (if not a tad rough and rich) TONGUE on these two consecutive evenings. Now, I am not a fussy eater, but when you accidentally snoop through the jam packed fridge, and upon opening a metal container find a raw cows tongue that will later be prepared for you- it needless to say really puts you off your supper !

NB: This blog is likely to be a food blog eventually, because that is in fact what preoccupies my mind the majority of the time.

Right- UNIVERSITY. This is the part my Grandparents and a few of my Godparents will skip to.
On arrival at Liden and Denz this morning I was handed a test. This came as quite a shock to me as you can imagine, considering I have not dared dive into my Russian vocab revision for 3 months whilst sunning myself in Indonesia....
However, it wasn't as scary as what Bristol teachers prepare for us on a weekly basis on a Frida afternoon at 5.00, so it came as a relief. I am currently in a middle set going over basics, but it is roumered to get a lot lot harder in the coming weeks. The teachers are all young, pretty, feminine and charismatic, which, is practically a polar opposite to what one would be used to Back in Bristol with our ninja teachers.

I have 4 hours a day off class, and have to wait to have lunch at 2.30pm! At least I can rely on a bar of Russian chocolate to keep me going... Or can I.... They don't have Dairy Milk- panic.....

I'm sure none of you would have read all of that, but next time the blogs will be shorter and snappier I promise. Until then,wish me good luck with the new homework, new food, new experience in washing clothes (all by hand), new keys, new people. new roads, new weather and new living companion....

Much love !
Come back soon !

X

Ps: I have already made an English buddy; Charlotte. Here we are in front of the Winter Palace on today's excursion.

No comments:

Post a Comment